Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kumquat Bread

Last week at the grocery store I spotted a display of kumquats. I'd had them before but it had been a really long time so I picked up a big carton of them. When I got them home I thought, "ok, what do I do with kumquats?" So I looked up some recipes. I ended up settling on Kumquat Nut Bread but during my search I found some reviews of bread recipes. Someone had mentioned that their breads kept turning out heavy and dense, just the problem I had with my last 2 attempts at beer bread. The solution, it turns out, is to use fresh baking powder. My baking powder was several years old and kind of clumpy so I ran out and got some fresh stuff and proceeded to make my kumquat bread and voila! Beautiful, perfect bread!

kumquat bread

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2/3 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2 tbsp oil
2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
3/4 cup pureed kumquats
3/4 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup sugar

Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs and oil.

2. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients. (this includes the sugar, I almost forgot this because I generally assume sugar is part of the "wet" ingredients)

3. Add liquid mixture and stir until moistened.

4. Fold in pureed kumquats and nuts.

5. Bake in a greased 8" x 4" x 2" loaf pan in 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. (mine was done in about 53 min.)

6. Cool and remove from pan.

No comments: