Friday, February 27, 2009

Vegetarian Meatloaf

Veggie "Meat" LoafVeggie "Meat" Loaf

Unfortunately, this kinda looks better than it tastes. It's not bad though. I think maybe if I sauteed the onion and garlic before adding it in, it might have been a little more flavorful. I didn't add any spices because I figured the sauces would take care of that. They didn't so I slathered A1 over the top upon serving. I probably won't make this again because it was kind of a pain but I'm glad I tried it anyway. In any case, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup dry brown lentils
  • 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup frozen veggies (I used peas and carrots)
  • 2 tsp. hot sauce
  • 2 tbsp. BBQ sauce
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
Directions:
  • Cook lentils and brown rice according to package directions. (I boiled the lentils in just enough water to cover them for about 40 min, then added instant brown rice to the pot and boiled for another 10 min. adding hot water as needed. There's probably a better way to do that though. I prepared these the night before so it had plenty of time to soak up additional moisture and were nice and soft for the "mashing".)
  • Preheat oven to 325 F.
  • In a large bowl, mash lentils and rice. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
  • Pack into a lightly greased loaf pan (I ended up splitting this between 2 loaf pans.)
  • Bake, COVERED, for about 1 hour. (I added more BBQ sauce and baked uncovered for the last 15 min.)

No comments: